Monday, January 4, 2016

January 4, 2016

Well Family! Hola! 

This week was a blast. So much happened and it felt like an eternity but it also went by in a snap. We finished up the year strong and got a lot of work done. The next couple weeks we have some more baptisms that we are preparing for and excited for. They are all people that I have found and taught so I am happy about that. 

On the 28th it was my comp´s bday. We didn´t really do anything except go downtown like we always do. Then that night our pensionista asked us to come at 8:30 instead of 5:00 so we came and she had made a little surprise party for my comp. It was so nice. We ate chicken and chaufa and sang happy birthday and ate cake. I know it meant a lot to her and it was really nice of my pensionista to do even though their family doesn´t know her that well. She was really touched. I love my penisonista and her family a lot. They are like my family here and it will be hard to leave them when I have transfers, whenever I go.

- surprise party! My pensionista and her family!


For New Year we didn´t really do anything either, but no one was at home. I thought Christmas was a party, but New Year´s is even bigger here. Everyone decorates their houses with green, yellow, red, and white banners and balloons and dresses up in the colors. Red is for love, yellow for happiness, green for money, and white is to get married. People also make muñecos to burn at midnight which are big dolls filled with old clothes and stuff. At midnight, the music was pumping as usual and fireworks were blasting and the dolls were burning and people were calling us. It was absolute madness. I woke up so out of it. Another tradition is to eat twelve grapes at midnight and make a wish with every one. I was so drowsy and just watching the craziness outside and half consciously eating my grapes. I think I forgot to make wishes. But I´m pretty sure my year is going to go just fine anyways.

- one of the dolls, burned for being a drunk and a womanizer lolzies


The morning after New Year´s people were still going. It was really hard to sleep that night because literally the music got turned off at 7:00 in the morning. I´m talking so loud you think the speakers are in your own house. That, all night. It was a rough night. They kept drinking, and another thing they do is throw corn flour on people. So all that day we just saw drunk people covered in white still partying the day away. It was actually really sad to see. I think one thing I have seen and learned from here in Iquitos is just blatant wickedness. At home it was more glamorized and hidden in people´s houses, but here you pass it on the street every day and it is always right in front of your face. Sometimes that is hard for me to see. But it was a New Year´s to remember forever. One down, one to go. 

Annnnnndddd, my package came!! I saw it before our district meeting on Tuesday and the whole meeting I was just thinking about what was inside. It was awesome! Thank you so much mamita! I love the shirts and was really grateful to get them because I had just been wanting more t-shirts that are kind of nicer. They fit perfectly! And the food was amazing. It is taking a lot of willpower but I am trying to preserve them for as long as possible. Gold of all gold are the joe´s o´s. I had actually prayed you would send them and I opened them and almost cried. We love playing with the yo yo and slinky during study and we are going to make a poster and try out the lights. First, we have to get some batteries. I gave my comp one of the marker sets and she loves them, she was amazed that they could have scents and is really happy with them. And the cd´s are the bomb! We have been listening to them nonstop. It was a really great package mom! Thank you so much for sending it, it was huge too! I am enjoying everything you sent. 

- look what came! Thanks momma!


This week we are going to Carmensita, a field thingy, with the zone for a bbq and games. Should be fun because we had a lot of changes in the zone so we are getting to know everyone and trying to unify the zone again. It´s a bring-your-own-pollo event so we have our seasoned chicken in tow. 

I feel really different as a missionary. You just can´t be a missionary and do the things we do everyday and be a normal person. You can´t constantly testify of Christ and see the things we see and not be affected by it. It changes you. But I also feel the same. I don´t know, it´s an odd sensation. Even if the Young Women don´t think they are going to go on a mission, they should prepare because you really never know. Get in the habit of doing the little things - scripture study, prayer, attending church, and then look for ways to be a missionary. Go out with the missionaries too and see what it´s really like! It´s awesome! And do your personal progress, even though it´s tedious it really does have so many good things in there. I regret doing it so begrudgingly. Take advantage of the mini MTC and the biggest advice I would give is pay attention to the Spirit. Figure out how to recognize it in your life and that will be your greatest tool. And learn scripture mastery! It will help so much!!

Love you all, happy 2016!

- see ya 2015! It was a really good year to me. Looking forward to 2016. These numbers were burned that night but it was far away from our house so we didn´t see them burn. 
They hung them over the street on the light cable, so really secure and safe as usual


Hermanita Fitz








No comments:

Post a Comment