Monday, February 6, 2017

February 6, 2017

Well, well, well,

Sorry about last week. Not a lot going on but I will try to be more specific this week. 

Oh man, let`s just start with the big guy. So, golden family that we walked into the house and told us they wanted to get married and baptized has had some REAL challenges in their papers. And, I have had to do everything which has been a little stressful. First, we couldn`t find their birth certificates because both of them were born in little pueblos on the river. So, we went into some deep investigation coordinated with some people with some boats and, miracle after miracle, we got the birth certificates! Thought the coast was clear. Turns out it was not. Went to the municipalidad because the hermano had been married before and we had to get a copy of his divorce for his new marriage. Well, shocker of all shockers, there was no divorce. He is still married and divorces take a lot of time to get through. Oh man. We were discouraged. Thought that it was done for for February. Then, we went one last time to the municipalidad and checked with the lawyers and they found that he had a separation! but not a divorce...yet. They had done everything but the last step. Another couple of miracles and the divorce is being processed and we are on track! Deep breath, forehead wipe, and we are still going. We have had a lot of challenges with this wedding that have nothing to do with their conversion or desire to get married and be baptized and it has really been evidence of opposition in all things. But, we have also had so much divine help and little coincidences that aren`t coincidences at all that I know Heavenly Father is in the details of our lives. 

We also started auto pensioning breakfast and dinner this week and it has been delightful! Getting to decide what I want to eat, how much I want to eat, and take my time to do it has been great. I just felt a special peace in the morning in my studies as I was able to eliminate that small stress and really focus on the Spirit and meditating and learning. 

 - a little turtle we are hoping to eat soon!

 -this is a cholao - what is it? we aren`t sure either but it was yummy 

 -eating a cholao

I really liked a mission president`s quote that I found in a Liahona this week about the five things we have to eliminate as missionaries (and people) so that our faith can be efficient:
-doubt
-discouragement
-lack of diligence
-disobedience
-distractions
It really is so true, not just for missionaries but for everyone. I can feel the Spirit working more tangibly and actively in my life when I distance myself from these things.

- ward activity this week playing volleyball- this is literally more people than show up at church

 - Zoraida went to church! with her son!

I have enjoyed reading Jesus the Christ and the New Testament and I have been reading about the apostles. One thing that has called my attention is the imperfectness of the apostles and their lack of understanding of Christ`s mission even though he was there and with them. They were simple men, called of God and fulfilled their office to the best of their ability, but sometimes failed in their responsibilities because of their own frailties. I have learned especially as a missionary that we all have our weaknesses and the gospel really is taught by the small and simple but each missionary is called of God. I really liked the conference we had with the general authorities because Elder Bednar basically told us to stop feeling bad about not being good enough and to just do what we can and it is good enough. It was something that I needed to hear and I have been reflecting on what is ¨good enough¨ for the Lord. It`s really hard to know that but the Lord always lets us feel His love even when we aren`t ¨good enough¨ by the world´s standards. I am so grateful for His grace and His love.

Today I enter into my last six week transfer as a missionary. Wow. That is weird to even type or think. I don`t know where I will end or who I will be with but someone asked me this week what I want to achieve in this last transfer. I don`t think it`s something you achieve in one last transfer, it`s something you achieve throughout your whole mission but I just want to take advantage of every last second that I have here in Peru as a set apart representative of Jesus Christ and His church. That is my joy and privilege-

-walking down the street at sunset

Hope that was a little more informative. I love you all and will talk to you soon


Hermana Fitzpatrick






No comments:

Post a Comment